Merrillville High SchoolCourse Scope & Sequence
Department:MathematicsPre-Calculus/Trigonometry A Instructor:Email:
Course Expectations, Goals & RoutinesExpectations of Pre Calculus Students:• Take responsibility for your education.
• Be prepared everyday. Book with a cover, Pre Calculus notebook, Pencils, TI-83 or TI-84 Graphing Calculator, Post-It notes.
• Be on Time. It is expected of you in school and when you get a job.
• Perfect attendance or as close to it as humanly possible. Absences are tough to recover from with Trimesters.
• Complete all assignments with your best effort.
• Turn all assignments in on time and 100% complete. Homework is practice and you will be successful if you do your homework.
• Stay organized & take good notes. If I write something on the board it is important.
• Participate in class,
• Prepare for all exams and quizzes.
• Put forth an effort equal to your ability.Tests and Quizzes are 90% of Final Grade.Homework are 10% of Final Grade.Course Description
Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry blends the concepts and skills that must be mastered before enrollment in a college-level calculus course. The course includes the study of (1) relations and functions, (2) exponential and logarithmic functions, (3) trigonometry in triangles, (4) trigonometric functions, (5) trigonometric identities and equations, (6) polar coordinates and complex numbers, (7) sequences and series and (8) data analysis. Note: A graphing calculator or such as a TI-83 or comparable is required. (NOT the TI-89 or QWERTY keypad calculators)
· Grade Levels: 11 – 12
· Prerequisite: Geometry and Algebra II (Grade of C or better)
· Credits: 2 trimester course for 2 credits
· Counts as a Mathematics Course for the General, Core 40, Core 40 with Academic Honors and Core 40 with Technical Honors diplomas
WeekStandardsInstructional ContentActivities, Readings, Labs, Interactive Notes, Assignments, etc.AssessmentsOther1PC.1.1,1.3,9.4,9.5,6.4Prerequisites-Linear Equations-Linear InequalitiesQuizzesProblem SetsVIDEO DAY#1P3 problem set.p. 25 2-28evens,32 - 54 evens, 63-68P4 problem set.p. 35 2-26evens,32-36 evens2PC.1.2, 1.3,9.4,9.1,9.4,9.5Prerequisites-Linear Equations-Algebraic Properties-Properties of Exponets-Quiz covering P.3 - P.5VIDEO DAY#3P4 problem set.p. 37 42-48 evens, 5261 - 66 allP5 problem set.p. 46 39-44,47-50,53,54,59,60,62-62P6 problem set.p. 52 2-24evens,30-40evens41-44 all3PC.1.2, 1.3,9.4,9.1,9.4,9.5Prerequisites &Functions-Solving Equations Graphically and Algebraically.-Complex Numbers--Interval NotaionCartesian Coordinate System-Distance Formula-Midpoint FormulaPREREQUISITES TESTP7 problem set.p. 58 1 - 1618 - 30 evens33,34,36,38VIDEO DAY#9P1 Problem Setp. 9 6-44 evens,48,50,69-72VIDEO DAY#10VIDEO DAY#10P2 Problem SetP. 17 2 - 34E, 40 - 54EP2-P6 REVIEWp 60 6, 28, 32 [38-52] evens53,54,60,62,64,69,[74-80]E4PC.1.2, 1.3,9.4,9.1,9.4,9.51.5,1.6,1.7,Functions-Properties of Circles-Real Numbers- Using Algebraic models to solve equations-Functions and thier propertiesQuizzesProblem Sets1.1 TEACH IN CLASS1.1 PROBLEM SETP. 75 2-10E,20-22,24-27,30-38E1.1 TEACH IN CLASS1.1 PROBLEM SETP. 75 1-9 ODDS,29-37 ODDS,39-46 ALL1.2 TEACH IN CLASS1.2 PROBLEM SETP. 94 1-161.2 TEACH IN CLASS1.2 PROBLEM SETP. 95 17-34,41-461.3 TEACH IN CLASS1.3 PROBLEM SETP. 106 1-16, 20,21,23,24,25,45,46,48,505PC. 1.3,1.5,1.6,1.7,1.4,9.1,9.2,9.4
- A Career Academic Sequence or Flex Credit course
Functions-Composition of Functions-Parametric equations-Graphical Transformations-Modeling with FunctionsQuizzesProblem SetsChapter 1 Test6PC. 8.3,2.2,2.3,9.4,9.5,6.4,6.5Polynomial and Power FunctionsLinear and Quadratic Functions and ModelingPower Functions with ModelingPolynomial Functions of Higher Degree with ModelingQuizzesProblem SetsCHAPTER 1 TEST7PC. 1.1,1.2,9.1,9.2,9.3,9.4,9.5Polynomial and Power FunctionsRational FunctionsReal Zeros of Polynomial FunctionsComplex Zeros and theQuizzesProblem SetsVIDEO DAY #292.4 PROBLEM SETP. 205 1-122.4 PROBLEM SETP. 205 20-30E, 34,36,50-56EVIDEO DAY#31VIDEO DAY#312.5 PROBLEM SETP. 215 2-20 E,28-42E,46,48,49,50VIDEO DAY#33VIDEO DAY#332.6 PROBLEM SETP.225 2-26E,32-42E8PC. 1.1,1.2,9.1,9.2,9.3,9.4,9.5Polynomial and Power FunctionsRational FunctionsFundamental Theorem of AlgebraGraphs of Rational FunctionsQuizzesProblem Sets9PC. 2.1,2.2,2.4,9.1,9.3,9.4Equations/InequalitiesSolving Equations in One VariableSolving Inequalities in One VariableQuizzesProblem Sets3.1 PROBLEM SETP. 261 1-10ALL,16-34ALL, 56A&B, 573.2 PROBLEM SETP. 270 2-18E, 29-323.3 TEACH IN CLASS3.3 PROBLEM SETP. 281 2-52EVIDEO DAY#42VIDEO DAY#423.4 PROBLEM SETP. 289 2-36 E3.5 TEACH IN CLASSP. 301 2-18E, 26,28,36,383.6 TEACH IN CLASS3.6 PROBLEM SETP. 311 2-30 E10PC. 2.1,8.1,8.3,8.4,9PC. 2.19.1,9.2,9.4,8.3Exponential, Logistic, and Logaritmic FunctionsApplications of Logarithmic FunctionsEquations Solving and ModelingMathematics of FinanceQuizzesProblem Sets11PC. 2.19.1,9.2,9.4,8.3Applications of Logarithmic FunctionsEquations Solving and ModelingMathematics of FinanceQuizzesProblem Sets12Final Review and Final