Merrillville High SchoolCourse Scope & Sequence
Department:ind. artsMetals I B Instructor: Mr. GarnerEmail:
Course Expectations, Goals & Routines
We will follow the hand book on matters such as tardiness, attendance, use of electronics devices, respect to others, eating in class, etc.. Students will be assigned a locker and safety glasses for use in the class. Students will be responsible for returning both at the end of class. Students are responsible for the safe keeping of their project and belongings in class. Students will receive a grade for daily work in the shop. This will be recorded on a weekly basis. Students will be required to follow all safety rules and procedures given in class. Students must keep a notebook with all assignments, notes and handouts from the class.Course Description
ADVANCED MANUFACTURING A & B (Metals II)
Advanced Manufacturing is a highly specialized course based on the techniques and interrelationships found in high performance manufacturing and production. Instruction should focus on the critical actions, knowledge, systems, and processes necessary to participate in an advanced manufacturing enterprise. Activities should include a focus on advanced manufacturing processes and production; quality and continuous improvement practices; maintenance awareness; and safety. Students should additionally develop high performance skills through demonstrations, lectures, self-paced studies, labs, computer simulations, technical presentations, critical thinking, problem solving, and individual / group activities in order to demonstrate the core set of skills and knowledge necessary to prepare for sustained careers in the high performance manufacturing environment.
· Grade Levels: 11 – 12
· Prerequisite: Manufacturing Process A & B
· Credits: 2 trimester course for 2 credits
· Charge for individual project will be assessed.
· Counts as a Directed Elective or Elective for the General, Core 40, Core 40 with Academic Honors and Core 40 with Technical Honors diplomas
· A Career Academic Sequence, Career-Technical program, or Flex Credit course.WeekStandardsInstructional ContentActivities, Readings, Labs, Interactive Notes, Assignments, etc.AssessmentsOther11, 1.5, 1.13., 1.121.,Review of ruler reading; introduction to metals; history of metals; cnc machining; terms and definitions; cnc programming.Lecture on measurement; pre- test on ruler reading; notes on two ways to read a ruler; sample and practice reading ruler21.1, 1.5, 1.13, 1.11, 3.2,3.16,cnc machining; terms and definitions; cnc programming.lecture on cnc machining; vocabulary words for cnc and metals; cnc design of cnc projectcnc machining; terms and definitions; cnc programming.31.1, 1.5, 1.13, 1.11, 3.2,3.16,welding both arc and gaslecture on welding safety arc , gasinteractive note book quiz on welding41.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16acetylene fuel gas burninglecture demo on safety in use.burning projects51.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16arc welding joints, bead butt edge lappdemo on processes to make proper weldsgading of assign welds61.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16same as week 5 for gas weldingdemo on processes to make proper weldsgading of assign welds71.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16manual milling machine use, termslecture demo on use safetyquiz on terms used on milling machine81.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16lathe opperations terms uselecture,demo,on use and saftyquiz on terms, and safety on lathe91.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16problem solving using milling and latheproduce projects using mill and latheProjects using lathe and mill101.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16problem solving using milling and latheDemonstration on cnc and lathe useProjects using lathe and mill111.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16Same as week 10Practice using machines and tools to produce projectsTurn in completed assignments in each area of instruction121.1, 1.51.6, 1.9, 1.13,1.11, 1.12, 1.14, 3.8, 3.14, 3.16Close out trimesterReview content; collect materialsEnd of course assessment(final)