Merrillville High SchoolCourse Scope & Sequence
Department:Enter your department herePiano & Electronic Keyboard Instructor: Enter your name hereEmail:Enter your email here
Course Expectations, Goals & RoutinesSupplies: 70 page Spiral NotebookAdult Piano Method BookPencilsExpectations: School ID must be visible at all times.Be Responsible: Have all your classroom materials with you and be on time to class.Be Respectful: Treat others as you would like to be treated. Keep your hands to yourself.Be Safe: Clean up your own mess.Routine: Class begins when the bell rings.Keyboard practice, computer software access in room FAC109.Paper Versions of Theory Units and Tests are available upon request.Grading Policy: Daily Patricipation/Supplies 25% of grading periodClasswork 25% of grading periodTests/Projects 50% of grading periodSemester Grade: Grading Period 1 40% of final gradeGrading Period 2 40% of final gradeFinal Exam/Project 20% of final gradeCourse Description
PIANO AND ELECTRONIC KEYBOARD (L)
Piano and Electronic Keyboard is based on the Indiana Academic Standards for High School Music Technology and Instrumental Music. This is a beginning level course. Students taking this course are offered keyboard classes in order to develop music proficiency and musicianship. Students perform with proper posture, hand position, fingering, rhythm, and articulation; compose and improvise melodic and harmonic material; create and perform simple accompaniments; listen to, analyze, sight-read, and study a variety of keyboard literature; study the elements of music as exemplified in a variety of styles; and make interpretive decisions.
· Grade level: 9 – 12
· Credits: 1 trimester course for 1 credit
· Prerequisite: This course is for beginners with limited experience reading music and/or playing keyboard instruments.
· Fulfills requirement for 1 of 2 Fine Arts credits for Core 40 with Academic Honors diploma
· Counts as a Directed Elective or Elective for the General, Core 40, Core 40 with Academic Honors and Core 40 with Technical Honors diplomas
· A Career Academic Sequence or Flex Credit courseWeekStandardsInstructional ContentActivities, Readings, Labs, Interactive Notes, Assignments, etc.AssessmentsOther1H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2Introduction to Music Theory Alfred softwareReview Piano Lab Procedures/Begin Thoery programQuiz over lab procedures2H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2Music Theory - Unit 1 - Alfred softwareEMT -Unit 1Take Unit 1 Reveiw3H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2Begin Adult Piano Method BookMethod Book pages 1-10Playing test page 8, 9 and 10.4H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2Music Theory - Unit 2 - Alfred softwareEMT - Unit 2Take Unit 2 Review5H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2Adult Piano Method BookMethod Book pages 11-16Playing Test page 15 and 166H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2 - H3.1 - H3.4Music Theory - Unit 3 - Alfred softwareEMT - Unit 3Take Unit 3 Review7H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2 - H3.1 - H3.4Adult Piano Method BookMethod Book pages 17-28Playing Test page 27 and 288H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2 - H3.1 - H3.4Music Theory - Unit 4 - Alfred softwareEMT - Unit 4Take Unit 4 Review9H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2 - H3.1 - H3.4Adult Piano Method BookMethod Book pages 29-40Playing Test page 39 and 4010H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2 - H3.1 - H3.4Music Theory - Unit 5 - Alfred softwareEMT - Unit 5Take Unit 5 Review11H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2 - H3.1 - H3.4Adult Piano Method Book/Work on Final Playing TestMethod Book pages 41-70/Students chose Final Song/Practice C ang G Major ScalesPractice Test - Final Song and Major Scales12H2.1 - H2.2 - H7.1 - H7.2 - H3.1 - H3.4Music Theory - Unit 6 - Alfred software/Final Playing TestPlay Final Song and play C and G Major ScalesPerform Final Song and Scales