Merrillville High SchoolCourse Scope & Sequence
Department:MathematicsPre-Calculus/Trigonometry Honors B Instructor: Gail NicoliniEmail:
Course Expectations, Goals & RoutinesExpectations of Pre Calculus Students:• Take responsibility for your education.
• Be prepared everyday. Book with a cover, Pre Calculus notebook, Pencils, TI-84 CE Plus or TI-84 Graphing Calculator, Post-It notes.• Be on Time. It is expected of you in school and when you get a job.
• Perfect attendance or as close to it as humanly possible. Absences are tough to recover from with Trimesters.
• Complete all assignments with your best effort.
• Turn all assignments in on time and 100% complete. Homework is practice and you will be successful if you do your homework.
• Stay organized & take good notes. If I write something on the board it is important.
• Participate in class.• Prepare for all exams and quizzes.
• Put forth an effort equal to your ability.• Student will be expected to demonstrate their math skills to the class and field their questions.• Problems sets and notes collected on Test days.Course Description
Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry blends the concepts and skills that must be mastered before enrollment in a college-level calculus course. The course includes the study of (1) relations and functions, (2) exponential and logarithmic functions, (3) trigonometry in triangles, (4) trigonometric functions, (5) trigonometric identities and equations, (6) polar coordinates and complex numbers, (7) sequences and series and (8) data analysis. Note: A graphing calculator or such as a TI-83 or comparable is required. (NOT the TI-89 or QWERTY keypad calculators)
· Grade Levels: 11 – 12
· Prerequisite: Honors Geometry and Honors Algebra II or teacher recommendation
· Credits: 2 trimester course for 2 credits
· Counts as a Mathematics Course for the General, Core 40, Core 40 with Academic Honors and Core 40 with Technical Honors diplomas
· A Career Academic Sequence or Flex Credit course
·WeekStandardsInstructional ContentActivities, Readings, Labs, Interactive Notes, Assignments, etc.AssessmentsOther1PC 4.1,4.2,4.3,4.4,3.1Trigonometric FunctionsAngles and Their MeasuresTrigonometric Functions of Acute AnglesQuizzes, Unit Cirlce CardHomework Set I1. P325 [2-42]E44,502. P 336 [2-64]EOE3. P 347-8 [2-48]2PC 4.5,4.6,4.7Graphs of Tangent,Cotangent, Secant, and CosecantTests and Quizzes, Worksheet on Graphing4. P357 [2-52] Evens[58-64]Hand in Worksheet3PC 4.5,4.6,4.7,4.8,4.9,4.11, 5.5,5.6, 1.6Graphs of Composite Trigonometric FunctionsInverse Trigonometric FunctionsSolving Problems with TrigonometryTrigonomety Extended: The Circular FunctionsGraphs of Sine and Cosine: SinusoidsTest and Quizzes5. P 365 [2-16]E[22-40]E466. p. 585 [2-32]E7. P 393-5 [2-24]EReviewp. 399 [2-30]ERed Problems86,88skip 83,904PC 5.1,5.2,5.3,5.45.5,5.6Analytic TrigonometryFundamental IdentitiesProving Trigonometric IdentitiesSum and Difference IdentitiesMultiple-Angle IdentitiesTests and Quizzes, Worksheet on GraphingProblem Set II1. p410 [2-42]2. p 410 [44-74]3. P 418 [6-36]E4. p 418 [38-50]E5. p 425 problems 4,8,10,1214,20,24,28 & [32-42]E / p426 [48-54] E6. P 432 [2-40]5PC 5.5,5.63.3,3.4The Law of SinesThe Law of CosinesProject on Laws and AreaProblem Set1. p. 439 [2-12]E[38-44]E2. p. 448 [2-40]E6PC 1.1,1.2,1.3,1.71.10Analytic Geometry in Two and Three DimensionsConic Sections and ParabolasTests and QuizzesProblem Set1. p587 [2-30]Evens
2. P587-8 [32-36]even
[50-56] evend7PC 1.1,1.2,1.3,1.71.10Ellipse
HyperbolasTests and Quizzes3. p. 599-600[2-16] evens[22-30]evens4. p. 599-600[32-40]evens[46-50]evens5. p 609 -610[2-16]evens[24-30]evens8PC 7.1,7.2,7.3,7.4,7.6HyperbolasTranslations and RotationsTests and Quizzes6. page609-610[32-42]Evens[48-52]evens7. page 618[13-16]all[20-30]all9PC1.3,9.1Introduction to LimitsTests and Quizzes10PC 7.5,9.1,9.2Intro To CalculusLimits and Motions: The Tangent Problemthe Area ProblemTests and QuizzesProblem SetP 744 [24-32]Euse f(x+h) - f(x)/hthen find the derivativeLast find the value at the x if given11PC 7.5,9.1,9.2Introduction to Calculus:Limits, Derivatives and IntegralsNumerical Derivatives and IntegralsTests and Quizzes12Varies from aboveTrigonometry to LimitsFinal ReviewTests and Quizzes